Dhamachokadi - A Chaotic Mind

Friday, December 15, 2006

La musique nostalgique

Listening to the new album by Enigma. It’s good – very ambient; I am crazy about ambient music. It takes you to a different plane of existence. It is a catalyst, which can make any experience extraordinary – very much like the SonyErricson ad which has been showing lately. It just trickles through; it commingles with the mellifluous juices of a succulent pan, it flows with the cool pre-winter breeze as I walk in the inky blackness of the alleys of Koramangala late into the night.
Music induces in me a sharp feeling of nostalgia. It stems from the mutation of my musical preference with time, from the habit of overkill of what I am in love with then. It then becomes a marker of that chapter in the diary that is life. Play me High Hopes and I am teleported to my room in Calcutta, switching off the worries of the impending engg. entrance exams and lying in my bed soaking the magic of Floyd. Turn on Robert Miles and I ratchet down the highway of memory to the plush leather upholstery of my friend’s dad’s new Esteem; seat reclined, doors thrown open, as the garage throbbed with the beats of my very tryst with trance. Atif takes me down the corridor of my hostel during the last few days of college life. Enigma’s first few albums jog me down the Military Park in the sultry morning air, as I smiled quietly at the queer mannerisms of the motley morning walkers, thinking about how smooth my preparation for Std X boards was coming along. Rangeela finds me waiting in the car for my brother, as we got late for school in Ranchi. Pet Shop boys shrinks me into shorts with elastics when we got our very first music system- a Videocon, which was out of bounds for us as we got our first taste of English Pop. Pankaj Udhas plays softly in the background as we have our Sunday lunch of kathi daal-chawal in our airy duplex in Ranchi. Cranberries croons to my heart as butterflies flutter in my tummy – I sit dreamy-eyed stupidly smitten by a girl at her first sight. Maiden finds me stay up late nights enjoying my tension-free pre-engineering days. Prodigy and FatboySlip make me jump around like crazy in my first single room. Coldplay is what some happy memories are made of. And Himessss willl remind me of the days when Baba, Jalan, Dilip and I went grocery shopping; popped our heads out of the windows and 'serenaded' the unsuspecting bikers stuck at the traffic signal.

20 Comments:

  • that pink floyd comment - i TOTALLY agree!
    :)

    By Blogger Varun, at 10:24 pm  

  • DJ enigma...
    I dont see any mention of Himesh bhai here... very bad... he deserves a mention...
    And thanks...
    you have given me a topic on which I am going to write soon... :)

    By Blogger Pritesh Jain, at 3:38 pm  

  • Nice post. The associations with few of the songs seem very much what the artists intended. Specially coldplay and "happy memories" :)

    By Blogger shantanu, at 5:22 am  

  • @varoon: to-talli man.. tho i think GnR live era also deserves a mention.. what say!!

    @Pj: ya man.. i gotta add himessss to it... guess i didn't write it cuz it's contemporary.. but i think i'll edit the post..

    @Bong: thanks macha!! i was actually walkin down the "memory lanes" whe i was writing it down... came naturally..

    By Blogger Tikna, at 10:13 pm  

  • man - many things deserve mentions to us REFUGEES!!
    kitno ko ghusayega is chote se blog par?

    By Blogger Varun, at 1:45 am  

  • i could have easily run into pages with the reminiscences... music really works like tracking device...

    REFUGEES!! (lets not forget the BAdams and the Jovies either!!)

    CHAIYA CHAIYA!! (tu cheez badi hai must must too!!)

    watch this space for the annexure to this post..

    By Blogger Tikna, at 12:55 pm  

  • Liked this line a lot "..It then becomes a marker of that chapter in the diary that is life"

    Cadambi

    By Blogger Suhas, at 1:37 pm  

  • thanks!!

    By Blogger Tikna, at 2:23 pm  

  • very well written :-) i can tell how much this post means to u..music is a lifemark in so many ways..it evokes like very few other things..

    last week i travelled to churchgate from borivali, after a fucking 6 day work-week, just to listen to one song at sportsbar.. i knew they played that song after 1130..and imagine after almost 2 hrs there, when i was abt to leave, they played it and i went bonkers!

    By Blogger satyajit, at 2:23 pm  

  • anyone who has liked this post MUST read "31 songs" by Nick Hornby.
    will get it next time i come back from home, biyani .

    By Blogger Suhas, at 2:45 pm  

  • @baba: Bang on... i love the way music never stands alone.. it always attaches to some memory somehow.. and the way it comes back to you later... awesome..
    and which song was that?? i gotta listen to it..

    Tiger: i think you had mentioned abt that book sometime.. do get it next time.. and the iron too :)

    By Blogger Tikna, at 3:45 pm  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:17 pm  

  • Maadu easily one the best post of yours.Remember Sony mp3 player and mercury speakers that we had in room 25.

    By Blogger Manoo Kapoor, at 12:46 pm  

  • thanks!! and yeah.. don't think we'll ever forget those days.. he heh... and i can remember the music from those days too.. he hehe

    By Blogger Tikna, at 8:03 pm  

  • awesum shite!!
    Talking abt prodigy..
    i distinctly rememeber, i gave a Parag [of Dbpc] a blank cassete when in 9th prob.. and told him to record Aqua for me!! :P :P
    since there was some extra space left, he recorded 2 extra songs: Woman are Sexy [Dr. Alban] and
    Smack my Bitch up [Prodigy]

    Thts my intro to prodigy... the intro i really owe him for!!

    Sigh... good 'ol dbpc days yeah!! :)

    By Blogger Nasal Crooner, at 10:41 am  

  • there was a time when i used to freak out on prodigy like crazy...
    well.. there have been times when i have freaked out on a lotta stuff like crazy..
    i had got my first taste of floyd from some mp3 cd borrowed from a distant relative of Nikhil Khandelwal, that too in Delhi.. :)

    By Blogger Tikna, at 10:32 pm  

  • He He!!
    And as far as Himesssss is concerned , it reminds me of mah training days in Mysore..
    thats when he started off releasing 1 album after another...
    He used to be on tv de whole phakking day!! :P
    J2EE n Himessss.. a lethal combo i must say :)

    By Blogger Nasal Crooner, at 9:48 am  

  • c'mon chuddu.. don't tell me you don't like 'crooning' his numbers.. maybe this is best discussed over a drink :)

    By Blogger Tikna, at 8:34 am  

  • Munal: Couldn't Agree more with you. Just drawing it a bit further
    "Life is made of minutes, and not milestones.."
    Minutes marked by memories...

    By Blogger varuog, at 12:50 pm  

  • Right said Fred

    By Blogger Tikna, at 12:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home